Alexander the Tweet

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (66 votes, average: 4.76 out of 5)

Order an Alexander the Tweet t-shirt or coffee mug!

Accomplishments just earned me title “Alexander the Good.” Must work harder.

Historical Tweets The Book
THIS TWEET IS IN THE BOOK!

Order the first Historical Tweets gifts, featuring “Alexander the Tweet.”

21 Comments »

Posted by: Twitter Historian on January 26th 2009

Posted in: Comically Old

21 Responses to “Alexander the Tweet”

1. John Richardson responded on 30 Jan 2009 at 2:21 pm #

I think I saw this joke in The Far Side gallery 1. It’s still good though.

2. Historical Tweets » Alexander the Tweet Gifts responded on 02 Feb 2009 at 1:54 am #

[…] Order the first of our new Historical Tweets gifts, featuring Alexander the Tweet. […]

3. Kaye XD responded on 08 Jun 2009 at 9:21 pm #

Cute. That’s good :D

4. disgusted responded on 03 Jul 2009 at 6:22 pm #

The illustration depicting the Middle Ages is just wrong and yet you enshrined the faux pas on your first gift?! Incompeteno mentus…

5. Twitter Historian responded on 04 Jul 2009 at 12:03 am #

@disgusted What’s funny to us is when people get upset at historical inaccuracies on web site that claims people were Twittering in 344 BC.

6. Marty responded on 04 Jul 2009 at 6:35 pm #

I believe the phrase is “non compos mentis”. Touche!

7. annoyed responded on 05 Jul 2009 at 3:47 pm #

Historical tweets are the premise for these parodies.
    The anachronistic illustration is just incorrect and inept.

No. The phrase is not “non compos mentis”. Parer!

8. Kzirk responded on 06 Jul 2009 at 1:30 am #

i agree with with Twitter Historian!!!

9. WEHO WILLY responded on 06 Jul 2009 at 8:29 am #

RE: disgusted & annoyed…well ain’t we hoity toity ! Dissect and chew on those words for a while.

10. That guy responded on 08 Jul 2009 at 11:37 am #

I hate to be “that guy” but the phrase “non compos mentis” is absolutely correct, and “incompeteno mentis” isn’t even an actual Latin phrase. You’re an idiot, unless you are trying to evoke outrage for your own amusement. If that is the case, well done.

11. Erin T responded on 08 Jul 2009 at 9:24 pm #

Gotta side with “disgusted”. Although, “non compos mentis” is a correct Latin phrase it is not the correct phrase for the context of his post. “hoity toity”? It’s spelled with a dash and it’s meaning does not really fit your remark…If I want to be snooty about it. “You’re an idiot”?! You are rude and incorrect about “incompeteno mentis”! Lastly, I agreed with the point made by “disgusted”! I think you’re just overly defensive about the knuckle-headed picture.

12. Martin responded on 08 Jul 2009 at 11:29 pm #

I think that this entire thing is ridiculous. Both sides are a bit correct, and definitely are both too defensive. If “disgusted” were to have said the the remark was “incompetent” he would be correct. Also, “non compos mentis” is correct in this context. It means not in control of your own mind. On a side note, what kind of person reads an obviously anachronistic website, and then complains that its anachronistic?

13. Alexander The Good responded on 09 Jul 2009 at 6:44 am #

Dudes, chillax! Or I’ll make my next accomplishment beheading the lot of you and decorating my new hellenistic empire with your remains. srsly.

14. Nadia responded on 09 Jul 2009 at 8:40 am #

hahaha… i feel smarter just reading these postings…

15. Erin T responded on 09 Jul 2009 at 12:47 pm #

He is not complaining or upset about using anachronism! He just points out that the Middle Ages illustration doesn’t fit Alexander the Great. God, you people are stupid. Just use a correct picture! He isn’t complaining ABOUT anachronistic site, he complains about HOW the anachronism is done! You Thick as a Brick posters should lay off! By the way, “non compos mentis” doesn’t fit the context as well the better and real “incompeteno mentis”. Sorry, it just really annoys me when people who Don’t know what they think they do post their incorrect arguments.

16. Kelly responded on 10 Jul 2009 at 3:34 pm #

This is what happens on the internet. No one can actually hear what the other people are saying, so everyone reads it with their own interpretation.I’m sure that, could we all talk to each other, we would be able to work out that it is a simple mistake that everyone should just deal with. The picture is wrong, I get it, but there is no need to get all angry about it. Personally I just don’t care about it. The tweet is funny, but after you read the comments all I can think about is how angry everyone is, it really ruins the funny. Let’s all just hug. Alright guys?

17. Mike Harrop responded on 12 Jul 2009 at 1:47 pm #

twid erat constipandum would be better.

18. marky responded on 14 Jul 2009 at 1:23 pm #

“Let’s all just hug.”??!!

19. DeloresF responded on 16 Jul 2009 at 12:23 pm #

All this really proves is that this site is owned by dumbshits.

20. Historical Tweets » Historical Tweet of the Year responded on 31 Dec 2009 at 3:04 pm #

[…] There were a lot of good ones from the past 12 months, but one shone above and beyond as your favorite: Alexander the Tweet. […]

21. Haley responded on 17 Mar 2010 at 11:55 pm #

Isn’t the Medieval picture from the famous Medieval Romance of Alexander?

That was my first thought. Middle Ages writers tended to depict everything they wrote about as happening within their own time.

Creative Commons License
HistoricalTweets.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.